August 3, 2010

2010 MTV Video Music Awards Nominees + Predictions


This afternoon the nominee's for the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards were announced and it should come as no surprise to anyone that the always peculiar Lady Gaga is nominated for an impressive 13 awards. Decatur's own Bobby Ray (B.o.B) was also nominated for a number of awards including Video Of The Year. Check out a handful of this years nominee's as well as my predictions.

BEST COLLABORATION
B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams - "Airplanes"
Beyoncé featuring Lady Gaga - "Video Phone"
Lady Gaga featuring Beyoncé - "Telephone"
3OH!3 featuring Kesha - "My First Kiss"
Jay-Z & Alicia Keys - "Empire State Of Mind"


"Video Phone" has this one in the bag. That video was huge when it was released earlier this year. A lot of people loved it and a lot of people hated it, but either way it's a hot video that features two of musics biggest names. And can someone please tell me who the hell 3OH!3 is?! I have never in my life heard of them.

BEST HIP HOP VIDEO
B.oB featuring Hayley Williams - "Airplanes"
Eminem - "Not Afraid"
Drake, Kanye West, Lil Wayne & Eminem - "Forever"
Jay-Z & Swizz Beats - "On To The Next One"
Kid Cudi featuring MGMT & Ratatat - "Pursuit Of Happiness"


Hmm, this is a tough one and it's not even because I'm a fan of all of the songs (because I'm not). Honestly, I expected a better selection for this Hip Hop category. Yea, B.o.B raps on "Airplanes" and so I guess you can consider it Hip Hop but that is one very pop-sounding song! You definitely wouldn't hear Gucci or Jay-Z on the Charlie St. Cloud soundtrack now would ya? And speaking of Gucci...I know all the Hip Hop elitists will hate this, but I think "Lemonade" should have received a nomination. Sooo, I'll have to go with Eminem on this one because MTV loves this dude and so do his billions of stans.

BEST NEW ARTIST
Ke$ha - "Tik Tok"
Jason Derulo - "In My Head"
Justin Bieber featuring Ludacris - "Baby"
Nicki Minaj featuring Sean Garrett - "Massive Attack"
Broken Bells - "The Ghost Inside"


Sorry Nicki, Bieber got you boo...

VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Lady Gaga - "Bad Romance"
Florence + The Machine - "Dog Days Are Over"
30 Seconds To Mars - "Kings And Queens"
Lady Gaga featuring Beyoncé - "Telephone"
Eminem - "Not Afraid"
B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams - "Airplanes"


Alright, for this one I'm gonna go with "Airplanes" because although I did mention that the song is very pop (which it is) I'd love to see B.o.B take home this award. He's hands down a great musician and I'd love to see him represent for Decatur on this one.

For a complete list of nominee's visit MTV.com. The 2010 Video Music Awards will air on Sunday, September 12 at 9:00PM ET.