July 25, 2010

Lush Life: Tommy Bahama Rum Summer Cocktails


As I’m sure many of us already know, one of the best ways to beat the heat this summer is to indulge in a delicious cocktail or two. One of my favorite liquors to make summer cocktails with is rum. Is it a coincidence that “rum” rhymes with “yum?” I think not! It’s smooth, sometimes sweet, and downright delicious. Over the past few weeks I was able to sample various cocktails made with Tommy Bahama Rum’s Golden Sun Rum and White Sand Rum. Below I've posted the recipes to five of my favorite cocktails.

The first three cocktails: Tommy’s Classic Mojito, Mai-Tommy, and Blue Hawaiian are all based on Tommy Bahama recipes. The pina colada recipe was found on the Coco Lopez Website and The Cherry Bomb was my own creation.

Blue Hawaiian
1 part Tommy Bahama White Sand Rum
1 part blue Curacao
1 part coconut cream
2 parts pineapple juice

Pour all ingredients into a blender with a scoop of crushed ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into a hurricane glass and garnish with a fresh pineapple slice and maraschino cherry.


The Blue Hawaiian is pretty much the blue version of the pina colada although for some reason even though the tastes are similar I still prefer the pina colada. I guess that blue-hue can be a little intimidating.

Mai Tommy
1 part Tommy Bahama White Sand Rum
1 part Tommy Bahama Golden Sun Rum
½ parts coconut rum
2 parts orange juice
2 parts pineapple juice
Splash of grenadine

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass garnished with an orange slice and maraschino cherry.


I personally loved this drink because of the various fruit juices. The combination of the different fruits make this an ideal cocktail for the summer months. Perfect for BBQ’s and other outdoor functions.

Tommy’s Classic Mojito
2 parts Tommy Bahama White Sand Rum
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
The juice of one lime
1 bunch of fresh mint
Dash of sparkling soda
Crushed ice

Muddle ingredients in a shaker, add ice and rum. Shake well and pour into a chilled tall cocktail glass. Add sparkling soda, garnish with a mint sprig.


I prefer my cocktails fruity and strong so you won’t hear me raving about the mojito anytime soon. I did give it a shot for the sake of this review and it really isn’t that bad. It's actually quite the refreshing cocktail. It reminds me of a minty Sprite with alcohol in it. Crazy description, right?

Classic Pina Colada
2 ounces Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut
2 ounces pineapple juice
1½ ounces Tommy Bahama White Sand Rum
1 cup of ice

Mix all ingredients into a blender until smooth. Pour into a tall glass and garnish with pineapple slice.


I’m pretty much convinced that a pina colada made with quality rum like Tommy Bahama Rum (and an extra shot) is the best drink EVER. I was in heaven drinking this bad boy. I'm salivating just typing about it. Okay, not really but the Tommy Bahama Rum pina colada is nothing short of amazing.

The Cherry Bomb (My personal recipe!)
2 parts Tommy Bahama Golden Sun Rum
1 part Diet Cherry Pepsi
The juice of one lime

Combine all ingredients in a glass. Mix with a stirrer. Garnish with a sliced lime and maraschino cherry.


As a cocktail enthusiast I was a little disappointed to find out that my own special little recipe tasted pretty blah. The week I made this cocktail I was trying to eat somewhat healthy so I wanted to create a cocktail that wasn’t as high in calories. I think it’s the diet soda that killed it. That stuff really is nasty. I think it could actually be a decent drink with a little adjustments here and there.

The review above is based on samples I received of Tommy Bahama Rum.