October 9, 2008

Artist On Artist: Webbafied

I've always found it interesting hearing artists perspectives on other artists so I came up with this idea called 'Artist On Artist' where artists have the opportunity to critique other artists. I've only done one so far and it was featured on We Write Blog, but the result (shown below) came out pretty well in my opinion. So you can definitely look forward to seeing more of these in the future.



Brooklyn MC Webbafied recently shared with We Write his opinion on Killer Mike's controversial video "Pressure" featuring Ice Cube for We Write's first ever Artist on Artist.

No stranger to Hip-Hop, Webbafied has worked on and released a number of projects and has the opportunity to perform at venues across the country and in Europe. He has appeared in publications such as The Source: France and has been featured on several Websites including HipHopGame.com.



WeWrite: What was your initial reaction after seeing the video/hearing the song?

Webbafied: I was moved…

WeWrite: What's your critique for "Pressure"? Are you feeling it? Is there anything you would change?

Webbafied: I think the song is tight. I love the message in the lyrics and the production. The images were very graphic. Sometimes it was a little bit too much for me to digest. I realize that it is all reality, but seeing the twin towers blow up yet again is really not for me. I like the images that directly related to the lyrics though. The Malcolm X intro and outro were the highlights of the video.

WeWrite: How do you feel about Ice Cube and Killer Mike appearing on a song together?

Webbafied: I think it’s a great look when legendary MC’s pair up with guys from the next generation. Killer Mike is not brand new on the scene but he is no where near Ice Cube’s level. What better way to become a legend, than to work with a legend.

WeWrite: Are you a fan of Killer Mike? Of Ice Cube?

Webbafied: I’m a huge Ice Cube fan. I was really into his older stuff, but I always try giving his new stuff a chance. I remember that song Killer Mike did with Outkast, but I never really checked for his solo material.

WeWrite: Do you think that a lot of mainstream artists in Hip-Hop are afraid to make videos/songs with this kind of subject matter?

Webbafied: I think they are afraid to risk their success. This kind of video would never get play on any of the major video networks. Mainstream acts have so much power, but most of them don’t utilize it.

WeWrite: What projects are you working on right now?

Webbafied: I just started a new group called TOO MANY FISH. My man Molecule does the beats and I do the rhymes.

Webbafied