November 29, 2009

My Letter To Black Hollywood


Dear Black Hollywood,

You started out as a good thing, but it seems you’ve gotten ahead of yourself lately. You’ve turned one of the South’s most charming cities into a melting pot of wannabe hustlers (God, I hate that word), desperate model/actors, and Gucci Mane/OJ Da Juiceman clones. Up until this summer I had been MIA in Atlanta for years: there was the two year stint at Florida State University, the six months in Massachusetts (don’t ask), and almost five years in New York City. So my last memories of Atlanta are far from the BS I’m seeing now.

What do I remember? I remember going to Underground Atlanta and actually having a good time. I remember Music Midtown. Festivals in Piedmont Park. Being able to go to Lenox Mall and actually see some straight dudes! Now, Music Midtown is long gone, Underground Atlanta is probably on its way out, and Lenox Mall has become a “Hey girl, heyyy” haven. Let’s get this straight (no pun intended) I have absolutely nothing against gay people, but I do miss checking out the occasional eye-candy while shopping!

My biggest issue with Black Hollywood is it seems to have created a type of segregation in this city. Not the black/white segregation of years past, but more of a segregation based on interests. You’ve got your Black Hollywood crowd and then there’s everyone else: the artsy crowd, the hipster’s who swear they’re making major moves, the people who just wanna have a good time, etc. From what I’ve observed there’s hardly any mingling between groups. For instance, you’d probably never catch the Black Hollywood crowd at a graffiti exhibit unless it’s hosted by Ludacris and includes a one-hour Grey Goose open-bar. And I highly doubt you’d see the hustlin’ hipsters partying at the Velvet Room.

Don’t get me wrong there’s definitely hope for Atlanta. And the hope I see is in the music. Because, in my opinion, the music is what put Atlanta on the map in the first place (and the hope of finding good jobs). So hopefully, it’ll get us back on the map in a positive way and put an end to Gucci Mane clones, over-priced mega clubs, and social segregation.

Sincerely,

Danielle H.