December 26, 2009

YelaWolf DXNext Interview


What up peeps? I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas, Hanukkah, Knanzaa, or whichever holiday you happen to celebrate. It's back to blogging pour moi so I thought I'd start off by posting my interview with YelaWolf which appeared on HipHopDX. Check it out:

A combination of Classic Rock and throwback Southern Hip Hop, Alabama-based rapper YelaWolf has taken the internet by storm this year. From performing with artists like Big Boi and Raekwon to appearing on tracks alongside Slim Thug and Juelz Santana YelaWolf has definitely made his mark in 2009. And come 2010 he plans on introducing the world to his music once his mixtape Trunk Muzik drops on January 1.

Prior to his show with Raekwon in New York City, YelaWolf shared with DXnext his musical inspirations, why skateboarding is the fifth element, the influence of his Southern roots on his music, and much more.

The Sound: “The easiest way for people to understand it without hearing it is like a mix between Lynyrd Skynyrd and OutKast. It just depends on where I’m at with the music at the particular time. If it’s a Rock track, then obviously it’s gonna push me in that direction. But if it’s like some straight Rap shit like ‘Good To Go’ then it is what it is.”

The Inspiration: “I’m inspired by [Raekwon] of course among hundreds of other artists. I was influenced heavily by Classic Rock when I was growing up. When I was a kid, I grew up around it. A lot of Classic Rock melodies influenced my music and my style. And the hardcore early southern Hip Hop scene that I grew up on. Specifically Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, just to name a few - [Jimi] Hendrix obviously. On the Hip Hop side, my first taste was Run-DMC, The Beastie Boys, N.W.A., Triple 6 Mafia, UGK. Speaking of UGK, I got a record with Bun B which as equally as exciting as getting on a record with Rae.”


Click here to read more.