January 27, 2010

The Valentine's Day Hater


I've never had a Valentine. It's cool and all. I mean I'm on my "guys are really getting on my nerves" mode so I'm definitely not complaining about not getting to indulge in a fabulous dinner at Red Lobster or getting an overstuffed, atrocious-looking teddy bear. But to be honest Valentine's Day has always been a little awkward for me. And it started years ago...

Sometimes I remember random things that happened to me as a child and quite a few of these times these memories turn out to be made up (weird, right?). For instance, the time I thought a bear went on a rampage at the circus, turns out it didn't actually happen (I had to verify that one with my mom). BUT I CLEARLY REMEMBER my mean ass first grade teacher Mrs. Ja-Marbles (spelling is probably way off, but that's definitely what her name sounded like) giving the other kids more Dum-Dum pops on Valentine's Day! I think she was racist too (just saying). Needless to say, my being gypped out of Dum Dum pops on V-Day in first grade definitely set the mood for me with this dreaded holiday.

AND then most recently...

Two or three years ago myself and two other friends planned a girls night out dinner on Valentine's Day since we were all boo-less. Fabulous, right? You absolutely cannot go wrong with dinner with your girls on V-Day. Unless the third gal pal cancels last minute leaving you and your other friend looking like the world's most awkward lesbian couple. And that, my friends, is exactly what happened! Dinner was great and all, but can you say weird?

To wrap this up...

Valentine's Day sucks ass.