April 29, 2010

Bring Back Def Poetry Jam!


MTV, BET, VH1, and the rest of ya'll...how about bringing back a decent show to television rather than one of your BS reality shows? Bold, I know...

In my opinion, "Def Poetry Jam" was one of the best television shows I've ever watched. Just seeing the performers so passionate about their words was amazing. Thankfully, I happen to have lived in places where I can check out spoken word almost any day of the week, but for the most part "Def Poetry Jam" was introducing people to a world that was completely new to them.

I don't know why exactly the show ended. Maybe HBO didn't like how the ratings were looking or maybe Russell Simmons felt we'd be better entertained by Global Grind blogs written by Tila Tequila and Ashley Dupre...who knows. All I know is this is one show I'd absolutely love to see back on the air because the nonsense on television right now makes no damn sense. Apparently quality is something viewer's care nothing about these days.

Check out some of my favorite videos from "Def Poetry Jam."