September 18, 2008

Success!

A few blogs ago, I mentioned how I was planning on covering the red carpet at BET's Film Meets Fashion event this Saturday. Well, here's how it went down...

I get to the venue (ESPACE), which happened to be waaaay to far from the train station, on time at 7 p.m., but I was informed that I actually arrived quite early. Okay, not that big of a deal. I'd much rather prefer to be early than late any day. Plus, all I had to eat that day was two McDonald's apple pies so I was starving and ready for some grub. I had to walk a few blocks before I found some familiar places. I ended up stopping at a Dunkin Donuts to get a flatbread sammich and an iced tea. It was actually quite satisfying. After my delicious Dunkin Donuts meal, I head back to ESPACE only to wait some more, lol. I hate waiting, but one of the PR ladies at BET was really nice and kept updating us on when check-in would begin. So it was all good.

After about 30 minutes, press check-in begins! Yay! A lady from BET shows me a spot on the red carpet where I can ask my questions. And the nervousness sets in :-( But I met a really cool photographer, we talked for awhile and I informed him of my nervousness lol. Talked to some other people. Finally, a few celebs arrive...

The first few people who arrived I didn't interview...it was half me being shy/nervous and half me not knowing who the hell they were. I finally decide to make an attempt at my first interview. My first interviewee...*drum roll please*...Carlos from Making The Band. Ya'll remember him, he didn't actually become a member of Day 26. He was the guy whose fiancee was pregnant and their child was at risk of having Down Syndrome. Well, their child was born down syndrome free and Carlos is working on some new music.

I then went on to interview R&B singer Case, MTV/VH1 personality LaLa, the founder of the UrbanWorld Film Festival, and several others. Although, I didn't see any of the big name attendee's like Big Boi and Fabolous it was still a great experience and I know that for my next red carpet I'll know what to expect.

Oh, and probably the best part of the night is when me and my new photographer friend were invited into the event when the red carpet was over :-) Once inside, we enjoyed an open bar, appetizers, a fashion show, and great music by DJ D-Nice.

Success!