November 11, 2010

Lush Life: Dirty Martini Letdown


It is with great sadness and regret that I inform you, my loyal reader, that the Dirty Martini is the nastiest alcoholic beverage I've ever tasted in my life! In. My. LIFE! Yes, it pains me to say it but that is one gross drink! Yuckaroo buckaroo!

I got a taste of the "DM" (I won't dare say or in this case type the name of this dreaded drink again) while I was in New York City recently. It was a dark and stormy night and some friends and I decided to hit up a lounge in Manhattan. Okay ok, it wasn't actually a dark and stormy night but I'm trying to set a tone here folks! It was a little brisk though, but anyway back to my story. While at the lounge, the Fat Black Pussycat to be exact, I stuck with one of my usual fruity cocktails for my first drink. I opted for a coconut margarita concoction made with rum. It was of course tasty, but I could barely taste the liquor which is a major no-no. One of my friends ordered a "DM" earlier that evening so when the waiter came over to take our orders for the next round I ordered a "DM." I was in the mood to try something different so I figured why not.

When our newly ordered drinks arrived I immediately took a sip of my "DM." Upon tasting the "DM" I couldn't help but wonder to myself what in the world I could have possibly done to the waiter to make him fill this cute little martini glass with water from the East River. Because that's exactly what it tasted like! Like ocean water! Salty and just plain nasty. I had absolutely no idea that a "DM" is made of olive juice. Who puts olive juice in a drink? Yuck! The name is misleading too, they should just call it an Olive Martini. I don't normally send drinks back, but I made an exception for the "DM." I got a pineapple martini instead and it was so gooood I had to get a second one :o)

It might sound wimpy, but I think from now on I'm going to stuck to my fruity drinks.